Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Hollyhock Dolls and Railroad Lilies

On my way to school today, I noticed that the wild lilies were starting to bloom. It took my thoughts back to childhood in my little hometown of Red House, West Virginia.  A narrow road and  railroad followed the wide Kanawha River in front of my house, and I often used the rails as a balance beam -- trying to keep my balance as I walked the short distance to my grandparents' house on the riverbank.  As summer approached, the wild lilies, roses, and hollyhocks starting blooming all along the tracks. I especially loved the tall hollyhocks that grew along the lane and spent many wonderful hours making hollyhock dolls.  The wild flowers grew in a variety of colors, and I would sometimes make a whole wedding party of dolls in colorful hollyhock gowns. 
I had never heard of "day lilies" until I got married and moved to Ft. Bragg with Sam.  A columnist in the Fayetteville newspaper wrote about a day lily garden, and I wondered what they looked like.  I was very surprised to find out that what we called "Railroad Lilies" were actually something special.  Because they grew like weeds, I just took them for granted -- not even considering that they must have been planted by God!  My "Godwink" today was a reminder that the Creator of all those flowers of my childhood was still at work, blessing me with little patches of beauty on my way to school.  


“Why take ye thought for raiment [clothing]? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin. And yet I say unto you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.”

No comments:

Post a Comment